Sunday, January 25, 2015

Crappie Night


NumenOn the Water

Date:  1-24-15
Body of Water:  McEwen Lake
Boat:  None, ice fishing
With:  Alone
Target:  Crappies and pike
Time:  1:45 PM - 7:45 PM
Conditions:  Mild (37 +/- F) with decreasing S wind; about 7 inches of slush covered ice.  Fished a couple of hours into dark to assess the quality of the crappie bite.

With a work-free weekend for the first time in quite a while, I had some flexibility in my schedule.  While I'm not really a pan-fisher, I was intrigued by the size of a couple of crappies I caught on Thursday night.  I also wondered whether we'd left too early to capitalize on their activity.  So I dug out my portable shelter, rehabilitated a gas lantern, grabbed some J&S bait (suckers, shiners, and spec minnows) and was on the ice by 1:45 PM or so.  The plan: scout for suspended crappies while running a couple of tip-ups in shallower for predators; and be fully set up for the evening crappie bite by dark.

There were quite a few groups on the ice when I got there, but it looked like slow going.  Fortunately my area of choice was open, and I had the first speck on the ice from 36 feet of water in just a couple of minutes.  This hole became my base camp while I set the tip-ups and punched a variety of other holes in the vicinity.

I had two flags in the next 3 hours or so; a drive-by on a shiner suspended 7 down over 11 feet; and a small (sub-legal) pike on a sucker, 15 down over 19 feet of water.  Pretty slow predator fishing; I pulled these tip-ups before full dark.


The first flag of 2015 was an undersized pike.  It ate a sizable sucker suspended over 19 feet of water.

A typical McEwen Lake pike; at least in my experience.

Meanwhile, I bounced around in 32 to 40 feet of water. I was over marked fish most of the afternoon and evening, but they were generally reluctant biters.  Occasionally one would decide to go, and every so often I could get two or three in sequence.  But for the most part, it was a slow pick; and usually the biters were the highest fish in the column.  A jigging Rap (tipped with minnow), a pimple (tipped with a Gulp! maggot), and the slab spoon (tipped with live maggots) were all about equally effective; a dead-sticked minnow on a tear-drop only took one fish.  So while they were reluctant to bite, the best approach to catching them were more aggressive tactics.

I ended the evening with 16 specks (+/- 1), and these provided a nice set of meals for friends.  These were decent-to-good quality; all were 9 to 12 inches, with the majority "bigger" as opposed to "smaller."

I think I only took a couple after dark; while the sonar screen was lit up with activity, cruising/biting fish were less common.  Most bites probably came from about 18 to 21 feet down, regardless of depth. 

A pile of specks from 9 to 12 inches; not giant, but not bad.

Tools of This Trade; multiple holes, a trusty sonar and a lantern.  But in all honesty, fishing in the dark wasn't so great!

What do I have to say about this?

I am not much of a pan-fisher, but good pan-fishermen have always impressed me.  This was probably my best targeted catch of pan-fish in many years.  With the sonar maintaining my confidence, and comfortable conditions (I never did close up the shelter), it was pretty pleasant, at least by current standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment