Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Weeknight Whitefish

Date: 6-9-15
Body of Water: Big Whitefish Lake
Boat:  DC's Lund
With:  DC
Target: LMB
Time:  7 PM - 10 PM
Conditions:  Overcast, muggy; red, dusty skies from Canadian forest fires; mild winds and water temperatures of about 72 F.  Post-spawn.

What a pleasure to join D on a weeknight, especially as I was leaving town the next morning.  I simply grabbed a couple of rigs, a modest assortment of tackle (my organizational system remains intact!) and drove north a bit to his docked boat.  We started fishing without even starting the motor.  We just found the weedline and started fishing.


D scored a nice 16+ incher right away along the weedline on a Senko, but I got off to a slow start.  I wanted to do something different (no Ned Rigs or Senkos for me tonight), and once I started casting a green tube up onto the flat inside the weed edge, I started to score pretty consistently.  I mixed in some crankbaits and an Uncle Buck's Buzzer over the course of the night, but nothing clicked except the tube.  Meanwhile, D scored fewer but bigger bass on Senkos and spinnerbaits.


We probably got 15 or more bass (and a few more dinks) over the course of three hours.  D got at least  3 over 16 inches and I got one, so our virtual limit would have been at least between 11 and 12 pounds.  We each lost culling fish that would have helped, but all in all it was a pretty relaxing evening of simple bass fishing.  



What do I have to say about this?

Probably the most interesting aspect of the evening for me was the development of a new technique.   I've long used tubes as finesse and precision baits, especially along weed edges and by docks, but this evening I used them as a power tool.  I employed a heavier than usual head, and once the tube found bottom, I aggressively snap-jigged it back to the boat.  I covered a lot of ground and found many more biters for most of the evening than with other techniques.  I missed a few, and lost the biggest of the night, but I still caught enough to convince me to incorporate this technique into future efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment