Sunday, August 2, 2015

Local Muskie Attempt

Date:  August 2, 2015
Body of Water:  M Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Muskellunge
Time:  4:15 AM to 8:15 AM
Conditions:  Full (Blue) Moon plus One Day; quiet with increasing wind and activity; 79 degrees F water; clear and bright, about 65 to 75 F

Ideally I'd be fishing as the July Full Moon rises, but we're at the hottest and busiest part of the season.  Recreational boaters are dominating the waterscape, and the high water temperatures are stressful for the fish.  Enjoyable or productive fishing at 9 PM just didn't make sense.  Instead, I thought I'd try to take advantage of the peace and quiet and relatively cool temperatures of pre-dawn to try for some vulnerable, top-water muskies.

In the very early morning darkness, I rotated through high percentage spots and locations where I've had encounters with big fish before.  My lures swam over 2 feet of water and 40 feet of water, and all the depths in-between.  I have no evidence that I ever moved a fish.

As it got lighter, I mixed in some Big Rubber and bucktails, too.  It didn't seem to matter on this day.  All the while, the Full Moon (a true Blue Moon) stayed overhead.

By 8 AM the water-skiers were out, and my thoughts were elsewhere.  I look forward to these waters this fall, but I'll let them rest until then.



What do I have to say about this?

Local muskie fishing can be a "marginally viable" proposition, and especially so during the heat of summer.  I know this, but I was seduced by the ease of access and the prospect of a momentarily quiet lake.  It was a worthwhile attempt; the quiet lake, the chatter of Sandhill Cranes and Blue Herons, the variety of turtles and lack of mosquitoes were all welcome, and it was beautiful, although subdued, sunrise.  I'm not surprised at the muskie skunk; conditions were tough. But I sure wish I knew with confidence the important factor(s) driving my results; fish numbers, fish behavior, moonlight, location, presentation, lure speed color or size?

Only time and practice will provide the data to reveal these patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment