Monday, November 30, 2015

Season's End

NumenOn the Water

Date:  11-28-15
Body of Water:  C Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Muskies
Time:  2 PM - 5 PM
Conditions:  Clear and bright; about 35 F with mild winds generally from the NE. Water was 42 - 43 F.  Only boat out; mine.

Conditions were drastically different than the day before, and with limited time I selected C Lake.  This lake was very good to me at the end of last year, at least when I figured out that the fish had switched from bucktails to jerk- and twitch baits.  I worked my "high-percentage" areas with these baits, while mixing in some Bulldawg casts to the deep weed edge, too.  But I moved nothing as far as I could tell, and so with about a half-hour left in my season, I switched to a simple trolling spread.  My goal was to cover as much water as possible in my remaining time with a couple of weed-free crank baits, one high and one low.  I concentrated on the deepest weed edge (from 10 to 12 feet of water or so), and I was typically going about 4 - 4.2 mph.

I figured my Bucher Depth Raider was 8 or 9 feet down at about 65-70 feet back; that would place it consistently within a foot or so of the deep weed tops.  About ten minutes into my troll the drag on this rod slipped.  I dropped a waypoint and brought my first muskie in three months to the boat!

This is the first picture ever of me with a Muskie.  I managed to capture this with the GoPro, purchased for just this reason!  Any purported product placement is inadvertent, but if you were to ask me, I really do love my Lund!

The Bucher Depth Raider of choice.


What do I have to say about this?

I'm glad I switched tactics, because this let me end my season on a relatively high note!  Once the fish was landed, photographed and released, I got off the water just before dark.  Numenon has since been emptied and will be properly put away for the winter tomorrow.  My boating season with her is, unfortunately, over.

No comments:

Post a Comment