Sunday, January 31, 2016

...And Again

NumenOn the Water

Date:  1-31-16
Body of Water:  McEwen Lake
Boat:  None, Ice Fishing
With:  KS
Target: Panfish and Pike
Time:  8 AM - Noon
Conditions:  Overcast, calm and above freezing; rising to near 50 degrees F before raining

Today's experience was very similar to yesterday's, except it was less crowded and so there was more room to roam, I had a friend along, and we added some tip-up action to the mix.  And while the panfishing was tough once again, another meal or two was provided to my friend's family, and all in all, it was a more pleasant experience. 

We arrived to a lake apparently without suspended panfish.  We scouted a few holes in the basin and generally came up empty.  We therefore took our time setting four tip-ups targeting pike in 7 to 25 feet or so of water (half suckers, half shiners), and when we returned to base camp, some fish were now beneath our feet!  I immediately enticed the highest fish to eat a small gold Pimple with maggots, and once again, it looked like it might be easy.  Of course it wasn't; while I fished over fish for most of the day, they were generally difficult to fool.

By running and gunning over a milk run of a dozen holes or so from 30 to 39 feet of water, and by concentrating my efforts on the highest visible fish (and not wasting too much time on visible fish lower in the water column), I pieced together a decent catch of a dozen panfish.  All but one were crappies to over 11 inches, the other was a nice suspended bluegill.  The gold Pimple was by far the best producer, although a teardrop with maggots produced two bonus fish in quick succession.  The Jigging Rap was an obvious turnoff today; it resulted in firm rejections.  KS was unable to land any fish on the slab spoon.

While all this was going on, we entertained six flags.  Four were "empty" and probably caused by small fish harassing the baits; the others produced a 14-inch bass and a 20-inch pike.  Both of these ate shiners suspended about half-way down over 11 feet of water, right on the edge of some nice green cabbage.


At this moment, the possibilities are unlimited; this could be a 45-incher!


OK, it wasn't 45 inches; it wasn't even 24; but it did provide that initial excitement!  Note too, no gloves!  Baseball cap instead of a knit cap, and no coat!

I'll remember this trip for the fish I didn't land.  I lost a very nice (14-inch class) crappie at the hole.  It became entangled in my transducer; I should be more careful, and I know it!  The fish totally obscured the hole; it's nice to know that there are some even larger crappies out there.


What do I have to say about this?

This is one of KS' childhood lakes, and so he always enjoys his time out there.  I enjoyed his company, but I also appreciated songbirds and a bit more solitude than the previous day.  Plus, I was able to cover more water today, and if there was a secret for today's "success" it was to find as many fish high in the water column as possible, and to focus on those with a bait they would eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment