Sunday, September 11, 2016

Cranes and Coyotes

NumenOn the Water

Date: 9-11-16
Body of Water: C Lake
Boat: Numenon
With: Alone
Target: Muskellunge
Time: 6:15 - 10:15 AM
Conditions: Clear and bright; a bit of fog; calm; water green and 74-76 degrees F.  Visibility about 2 feet

I gave muskies a shot for the first time in months as water temperatures eased from their summer high.  I was the first muskie boat to arrive, but at least two others were right behind me.  I started with a black Bucher Top Raider in the dark, and then mixed in various bucktails and twitch baits as the morning progressed.  It didn't really seem to matter, though, as I had no evidence that any muskies were ever interested in my baits.  I never saw anything to indicate that other boats had any encounters, either.


What do I have to say about this?

I'll give conditions a bit more time to cool off before I try for muskies again.  The highlight of the day didn't involve a fish, but rather the cries of Sandhill Cranes and the howls of several groups of coyotes in the pre-dawn darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment