Sunday, November 5, 2017

LSC 2017 v.8





NumenOn the Water

Date:  October 29, 2017
Body of Water:  LSC
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Muskellunge
Time:  10 AM - 4 PM
Conditions:  Gray, overcast, mid-40's; North wind <10 mph; water temperatures between 51 and 55 degrees F

Re-routed by a horrific traffic accident at my intended exit off the highway, I got a bit lost.  I ended up targeting the Michigan DNR's Harley Ensign ramp, and arrived to a nice, new-to-me facility, but also to a sea of mud.  I wasn't too surprised by this, given the week's wind and rain, but all I could do was cross my fingers that the flowing waters of the North Channel would provide clearer, fishable water.  Meanwhile, the boat launching alongside of me was heading to Canadian waters in search of fishable water.

The North Channel area was fine; water conditions here were chalky green to downright clear.  I was committed to throwing Big Rubber, and I did so all day.  I worked weeds, weed edges, current seams, bait balls and deep water, but I ended with no evidence that I ever raised a fish.

I covered the North Channel mouth and the entirety of the Baltimore Channel with Bull Dawgs, a Medussa, a Shadzilla and a Pig Shad.  My colors varied from natural to chartreuse, but it just didn't seem to matter on this day.

I threw an assortment of Big Rubber baits over the course of the day, but never raised a muskie.  From top left, clockwise, these are Pig Shad, Medussa, a pair of Bull Dawgs and a Shadzilla.  The Pig Shad might not exactly qualify as Big Rubber, but it is still a 9-inch bait!


What do I have to say about this?

This launch facility provides excellent access to Anchor Bay and can handle a lot of traffic, but it is quite a bit less convenient to get to than the Metropark and Crocker Street launches that I have been using.  Still, it's good to be familiar with one's options.

I am feeling the pressure of the Season's End; it would be nice to boat a fine Esox before Numenon is winterized.  All I can really do is to continue to look forward to the next trip.

Without doubt, the toughest part of being an Apprentice Muskie Fisherman (especially one without direct access to a mentor), especially one trying to learn new water at the same time, is simply not knowing the most likely reason for the lack of action on a given day.  Is it on me?  Or the fish?  Presentation(s)?  Location?  Simply the mood of the fish?  

Regardless, these are top predators and so are limited in numbers.  It's a big lake, and it seems to offer unlimited options for both fishing and predation.  I do know that I fished hard and well (to the best of my abilities), and I do have confidence that I was making decent presentations in reasonable areas.  I was around bait, weeds, edges and current, with good water conditions for the entire trip.  What more could I have done with my available time?

Meanwhile, the events of my interrupted morning commute were a stark reminder that some folks had a much worse day.  I am fortunate to have spent mine on the water, regardless of the skunk.


No comments:

Post a Comment