Thursday, March 26, 2015

2015 Open Water Season Begins!



NumenOn the Water

Date:  March 25, 2015
Body of Water:  Flat River, Lowell
Boat:  None, shore fishing
With:  Alone
Target:  Spring Suckers
Time:  3:30 - 5 PM
Conditions:  Water was low, cold and clear; weather was gray, about 40 F and very windy (>>20 mph)


First line of 2015 is in!

Water temps were likely below 40 F; air temps never exceeded 40 F; and I was most likely too early for these fish.  But I was available, and the prospect of this trip excited me; and so I went to a favored early spring spot to start the Open Water fishing season.

I was pleased to arrive to a river in good, fishable condition and unoccupied.  It didn't take long to get an earthworm anchored lightly to the pool's bottom with a couple of split shot.  There seems to be a shifting "Sweet Spot" in this hole, and I thought I found it on my second cast; the rod tip twitched lightly and there was a residual, very slight pressure after the twitch.  I wound down on the day's first fish, and soon a nice golden red horse sucker was at my feet.  Success!

The first one came quickly, on just the second cast.  It was looking like a great outing!


He was looking like a loner scout, though, because nothing happened for the next hour or so.  I probably was too early for the run.  A second, bigger fish came along just as I started to accept this reality, and of course this kept me at it for a bit longer.  I missed a third strike, but I do believe I didn't leave too many fish in the hole.  The first one had accepted my worm too eagerly for me to think they were there, but fussy.


StormR SuckR






What do I have to say about this?

I've promised an "Open Diary" of my modest fishing exploits; and I'm not sure that either aspect will get more purely distilled than this.  I chose to open my open water season with a sucker chase.  It involved mud, ice fishing clothing and I caught two non-glorious fish***, and I seem to have come home ill.  And yet the idea of this trip motivated me, and I don't need to have caught any more fish.  Two were enough; they confirmed what I'd suspected.  Perhaps I'll take advantage of the height of the run (still to come) and pile on some numbers in a future trip.  Perhaps I'll just reflect on these two, as well as the muskrat and stoneflies I encountered today.

I've spent a good chunk of time in the last month organizing my tackle.  I think it says something that my sucker selection was already pretty much ready to go; and that it was the  first tackle set to be fully prepared for this year.

***To most.  I think they're beautiful.  These pulled drag, and they get big enough to test your tackle.  What else could one ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment