Monday, September 7, 2015

Nice!

NumenOn the Water

Date:  8-29-15
Body of Water: C Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With: Alone
Target:  Muskies
Time:  2:20 - 5:20 PM
Conditions:  Quiet, gray and drizzly with 71-72 F water 

With muskie stuff still in the boat from the last trip to Canada, and with recently dropping water temps and the August Full Moon, C Lake was a quick, attractive choice.  You can’t catch them without trying, and I thought (hoped?) the wet conditions might keep activity levels low.  I did overhear some discussions at the dock and on the water of recent (presumed muskie) action/encounters, and with water temps in the low 70's, I had some hope for success. 

Almost immediately, top-water commotions caught my attention.  Carp?  I’ve never seen one here, but they seemed the most likely candidates.  But the coloration of the fish made me wonder, and when I got a full, broadside view of a fish near the boat, I made the tentative ID; these fish were (at least in part) muskies!  I’d started with bucktails, so I mixed in top-waters.  I was rewarded with a perfect view of a sweet Polaris Missile strike on the Whopper Plopper, but she was off-target (on the way up and on the way down), and didn’t come back.   With no further action, I switched to a silver/yellow bucktail that was shortly there-after T-Boned in 9 fow or so.  This 41-inch muskie struck 10 or 12 feet from the boat and everybody on this small lake knew once  again that a muskie was caught.  The violent commotion gave ‘em something to talk about.  

Nothing else moved for me in 3 total hours of effort, but this was an awesome, bonus outing that I had originally thought was just practice for the next day, or perhaps a simple release from this muskellunge addiction.  



What do I have to say about this?


41 inches of freshwater meanness.  Where is my photographer?

Once again, there are no decent pics.  There's no Go Pro footage of either the missile or the fish because I’m either lazy or superstitious; after all, not much good has happened with the camera on.  Apparently, you can’t catch them from the couch, and you can’t capture them on film without actually using the cameras.  

This fish also doomed me to a Birthday Excursion for muskies the next day; the planned Reeds Lake bass fishing outing was now out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment