Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Weekend Muskie Efforts


NumenOn the Water

Date:  9-11-15
Body of Water: C Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Muskellunge
Time: 5:15 - 8:15 PM
Conditions:  Cold fronty and a shower rolling through; 10-degree drop in a short time, but just a mild northerly wind.  Water was turbid and 70-71 F.

Ah, fall.  After an unseasonable hot spell, water temps have fallen again into comfortable muskie range; and I had a few hours available.  Why would I wait until the morning?  I was off on a quick week-night trip!

There was very little traffic on the lake this evening.  Staying over my favorite scruffy weeds ringing the lake’s north basin in 6-11 feet of water, casting confidently, I still found nothing with bucktails, topwaters and jerks.  With time running out, I switched to Big Rubber with a mini Medusa (there is, after all not much big bait in this lake.)  I was quickly rewarded with my first Big Rubber fish, a beautiful (easily) 5-pound largemouth bass that was just a little over-powered by my tackle. 

She wasn't my targeted muskie, but she was my biggest bass of the year, though (so far), and she was beautifully rounded and plump!  Five-pound bass are always welcome aboard Numenon; and a beautiful lavender sunset sealed the deal on a very nice night.

I missed this shot by 5 seconds; it was Super Lavender for just a moment.

My first Big Rubber fish was a bass!


Date:  9-13-15
Body of Water:  M Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Muskellunge
Time:  6:30 AM - Noon
Conditions:  The cold front continues with the coldest temps in months (42 F); crisp, clear and bright; New Moon +1; it should have been a good morning!  Very clear water at 68-71 F.

Once again, I was first at the ramp!  I started in the pre-dawn darkness at a favorite spot with a Top Raider, but lack of any activity led me to switch to a bucktail as soon as I could see it approach the boat.  I gradually mixed in Big Rubber (this time a UV ‘Dawg) and gliders, and I worked weeds, edges and drop-offs, hard!  I did move one fish that was clearly tracking my Harasser (it was pushing a lot of water as it moved behind my bait and followed for a few yards), but it disengaged before I ever saw it.  This fish was in a classic-looking spot, but one at which I’d not yet encountered a fish.   So they are there, and often they are where they are supposed to be!  Most of the day was spent on known fish spots and/or the best structural locations available to them.   

Despite a strong effort that even included an hour or so of trolling cranks (with two lines and at 4+ mph, I’m probably covering 20X the amount of water I can cast; but perhaps less efficiently), nothing else happened.  At least three other muskie boats were out there, but there were no indications of success for any.


What do I have to say about this?

I experienced another sunrise, I enjoyed the waterfowl and cranes, I revealed another good spot or two, and (most importantly) I tweaked my leader for glide baits.  I found it difficult to take the scissors to a $12 leader, but I knew that for these baits I needed to minimize the mass and resultant momentum (inertia?) of the braid-to-leader connection.   These baits don’t spin, so I don’t need the barrel swivel; and a nice Albright* knot cured with some super glue seems to have provided a low-mass, slim, secure connection of the leader to braid.  I was amazed at how much more reactive to manipulation these baits are now, and I really thought I’d raise a fish this day.  


A Numenon Albright should breathe more life into my gliders!

My biggest 'skies so far have revealed themselves to gliders, and I think I’ve just upped my game for them.


*As modified by Numenon.  Everybody seems to tie their “Albright” just a little differently and in their own manner.



No comments:

Post a Comment