Tuesday, October 13, 2015

10-4

NumenOn the Water

Date:  10-4-15
Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:   Numenon
With: KS
Target:  Pike
Time:  2 PM - 4:30 PM
Conditions:  Post-wind and rain; but still breezy and water at 62 degrees F; generally overcast and still an Easterly wind after a truly miserable day the previous

This was a simple, local, convenient pike attempt.   I didn’t like the “look” of the water (turbid and brown) as we left the ramp and that feeling proved to be warranted.  At first we wandered around the basin (lots of suspended fish were noted) with a 6-rod presentation of boards and riggers with cranks.  Despite all the marks and our collective experience, nothing happened.  Well, we did catch a perch on  the rigger; that was first for me.  Since this wasn't working, we switched to slowly trolling the weed line with handheld rods and cranks, with a third rod with a board over the basin.  This resulted in a few bumps and another perch on the crank over the basin.  Why were this day's perch suspended?  Pre-turnover?  I think we're one more cold-front away from this year's turnover.  


What do I have to say about this?


Other than re-uniting with KS in the boat (it's been almost two seasons since we've fished together in Numenon),  I have to admit that I didn’t necessarily enjoy this trip.  I don’t like the skunk; this fishing is about catching!  But there's always a fall transition that I haven’t quite figured out, and combined with the wind, these were tough conditions.  Otherwise, I've got an additional list of temporary grievances:  I didn’t like being on the hook for K's decision making and schedule; I didn’t like transitioning the boat from muskie to pike on his whim; I didn’t like the east wind; I didn’t like losing a couple of lures (I am, after all, somewhat responsible for keeping Rapala in business!); I didn’t like the idiots at the ramp; I don’t like  the increased shoreline development; I didn’t like the last remaining ski boat using me as a navigation marker; I didn't like the motor coughing on acceleration; I didn’t like the idea of going back to work with no worthwhile memories; and I didn't like the prospect of writing this up.  


Well, at least I know I’m the problem here.  I’ve dealt with all this stuff successfully in the past, and I will in the future, too.  This daily crap just helps you to really appreciate the good stuff when it comes along.


No comments:

Post a Comment