Sunday, October 4, 2015

Another Skunk



NumenOn the Water

Date:  9-27-15
Body of Water:  Lake C
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Muskies
Time: 6 - 11:15 AM
Conditions:  Overcast but clearing; building S winds; murky water at 70 F; day of the Full Moon; a rare "Super Blood Moon" coinciding with a total eclipse later that night



In which I experience a Super Blood Moon Letdown


I knew I probably couldn't be on the water during the evening of the Full Moon, so I hit it in the morning.  I was, once again, the first one there.  In the dark, I had confidence in my black top-raider; and as dawn progressed and I could see my bait approaching the boat, I worked my way through a black  double-10 bucktail,  and then an orange/black Harasser.  Still with no evidence of any muskie activity, I continued the GRIND in 6-11 fow  with good weed  growth.  I threw bucktails, jerks, topwaters and Big Rubber; even my aggressive Pacemaker top-water got some time later in the morning's  sunshine as the winds and waves increased.  Still,nothing moved for me, and the other boat chasing muskies also indicated nothing.

But the next day I found that my friend and muskie mentor JVK is doing well with medussas on and just off the deep weedline.  I've done a bit of this during each trip, but with nothing to show for it; he's been scoring consistently.  This pattern only makes sense and of course ensures my future presence on the lake.   

What do I have to say about this?

Big Rubber has not been great to me, but perhaps I can consider using a Bondy Bait or a big slab spoon as a more comfortable alternative.  That is, if I can beat the changing seasonal weather conditions, because here in Michigan we changed from Summer to Fall just a few hours after the Super Blood Moon set.  Maybe I'll do best with the bucktails and jerk baits that worked so well for me last fall.


Meanwhile, I just found out that the Michigan DNR is using Survey Monkey to learn about muskellunge fishing efforts and catch rates; I'll be sure to participate!



No comments:

Post a Comment