Saturday, May 7, 2016

Five Minute Muskie

NumenOn the Water

Date:  5-7-2016
Body of Water:  M Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Muskellunge
Time:  9:30 AM - 1 PM
Conditions:  Cloudy but clearing with increasing NNW winds to over 15 mph; temperatures of 60-70 degrees F.  Water was green but clear to very clear and 57 - 59 F.

I started my Muskie Season by throwing bucktail spinners, twitch baits, gliders and rattle baits along the abundant weed lines of my favorite local Muskie Lake.  Just five minutes or less into the session, I saw a nice, mid-40's fish in about 6 feet of water with its head tucked into the weeds.  It was unresponsive to any lure nearby, but she was big enough to look for later in the session, too.  Although I did not find her again, I did see another, smaller fish in a very similar position near the end of my day's fishing.  Once again, this fish showed no interest in my bait, and I've no evidence that I moved another fish all day.

The fish were clearly weary from the spawn, and there were plenty of people out there trying for them!

What do I have to say about this?

Somehow this has become my relaxing fishing, while pursuing bass has become more serious.  This was an enjoyable session with lots of birds and turtles, and a minimal number of pleasure boaters.  Plenty of fishermen, yes!, but the pleasure folks weren't out in any number.

No comments:

Post a Comment