Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Humble Pie

NumenOn the Water

Date:  5-22-16
Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target: LMB
Time:  6 AM - 10:15 AM
Conditions:  Clear, mild easterly wind, water clear and 63 degrees F +/-

I started the morning with some cranking on the edge of the main off-shore hump with a Rapala DT3.  After a half hour of nothing, and with visibility into the water improving with the increasing daylight, I hit some new weed lines.  The senko hula swim bait turned nothing, but the weedless swim jig caught a small buck.  Between blind casts, I would scout any visible or bedding bass, but these consistently had no interest in eating my offerings (which also included the wacky senko and a double-tailed hula grub on a football head, too.)  The bass could certainly see these baits.  Some were simply ignored, some were watched with keen interest, and some were actively avoided; each in about equal proportions.

These sightings included many fine bass, so I dedicated myself to working these as hard as possible.  I worked one bass for a dozen casts or so.  He nosed the grub a couple of times, but never opened his mouth, and that seemed as close to success as I might get.

A near-keeper ate the senko, but it was getting pretty crowded here.  The least pressured fish were offshore, so I returned to the hump, this time armed with a chatter bait.  Working the hump's top and edges, I saw no fish, but I did catch another near-keeper from the hump's western point.

I made a quick milk-run of isolated beds that I'd seen the day before.  I figured I'd continue to try the hula grub on these fish while scouting the areas with the senko.  I suffered a few more rejections, but for some unknown reason a single guarding bass gulped the jig down, and I'd finally caught a legal-sized bass for the day; let's say one bass, two-plus pounds for the day's efforts.



What do I have to say about this?

The most unfortunate aspect of maintaining an open diary of one's modest fishing exploits is reporting on a day like this.  It was a fine day, just not as fine as I would like.  With four bass in four hours on four different presentations, having seen dozens of nice bass, I think one can safely conclude that the bass were simply "off".  They certainly were distracted.  

Meanwhile, our first summer-like weather of the season has arrived.  With lots of stuff going on in life, it might be a bit before I can get back out there.  I'm thinking at least some of the bass will be done spawning by then, and perhaps I can get a reliable bite (dare I think topwater?) going.  And muskies should be hitting their stride right now, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment