Monday, October 3, 2016

Muskie Hunt

NumenOn the Water

Date:  10-2-2016
Body of Water:  M Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target: Muskellunge
Time: 7 AM - 12:30 PM
Conditions:  Foggy and calm; New Moon + 1 Day; about 65 degrees F; water 65 degrees F +/- and very clear; crowded with Muskie Hunters!

Shorter days and five full days of east winds and rain were sure to bring water temperatures down, so I removed the bass rigs and baits from Numenon and replaced it with muskie gear.  I was the first to launch this day, but was soon joined by a quorum of local muskie fanatics, as we all had the same thought; it was time to start the Fall's Muskie Hunt!

I started in the dark with a Bucher Top-Raider in the area that I've the most faith; but after an hour or so of casting, with no indication of a fish, I re-located to an emerging favorite area.  I switched to a Spanky bucktail and started covering some water.  Not far from Waypoint 660, my bait got momentarily crushed over some weeds at the end of a long cast.  The rod loaded and I swung hard, but somehow the hooks found no flesh; I'd missed my chance for the day.

I continued fishing for four more hours or so, rotating bucktails with a chartreuse Shadzilla.  I fished fast and slow, shallow and deep.  As the morning progressed, it got more and more difficult to make a move without interfering with, or inheriting water from, another muskie angler.  Trolling conditions were good; green weeds, not much surface "trash", and a definite thermocline at about 20 feet.  But my heart was no longer in it; the boat was home and put away before the first pitch of the last game of Major League Baseball's 2016 Season.


What do I have to say about this?

This trip was planned to take advantage of the falling water temperatures, while also availing my efforts to the benefits of pre-dawn and sunrise periods, as well as the moon-rise just after 9 AM.  I'm still not certain (exactly) what to think about these lunar events, but my bite came within 15 or 20 minutes of the published moon-rise.  It could be coincidence; it could be that I was fishing my best in my best spot; or it could actually mean something about muskellunge vulnerability.   I'll have to fish more to have a chance at figuring this out! 

Also, there was a lot of surface activity along the weed lines and out over the lake basin.  I couldn't identify the predators, but I'll guess smallish schooling bass and/or crappies.  They seemed to be feeding on 1.5-inch or so minnows, with much apparent gusto!  I didn't have any light gear in the boat, and I probably wouldn't have taken the time out from muskie hunting to target these surface feeders, but it's good information to keep in one's back pocket.  Just like stripers, these mini Centrarchids can go on a fall binge!

No comments:

Post a Comment