Friday, October 14, 2016

Return to Reeds

NumenOn the Water

Date: 10-11-2016
Body of Water: Reeds Lake
Boat: Numenon
With: KS
Target: Pike
Time: 4:30 PM - 7 PM
Conditions: Mild fall day with mixed skies and southerly winds to about 10 mph.  Water conditions were clear, green and about 65 degrees F.

For the first 45 minutes, I first scoured the basin for suspended pike, alone, with a three-rod spread of cranks.  There were many fish to mark, but no bites, so when I returned to the ramp to pick up KS,  we switched to trolling two hand-held rods along edges from about 10 to 20 feet deep.  Meanwhile, a third line presenting a crank bait on two colors of lead off a planer board scouted the deeper basin waters for us.

I pretty quickly connected with the fish of the day, an approximate 31-incher that fell for a Rapala "Trolls-to-15" in silver and black.  This bait was presented at about 2.3 mph and about 75 feet back, over 18 feet of water in a known Big Fish Location.



The first fish was the best fish of the day.  This decent pike ate a Rapala TT15 in about 18 feet of water.

Continuing on, we caught a couple of small pike on a size 7 Flick'r Shad, back 75 feet, and also on the lead core set up (now with a green shad bait replacing the original minnow bait.)  We both missed a fish on the hand-held rods, too.

I spent, perhaps, a bit too much time in too deep water on our last trolling pass along the lake's sinuous north shore.  Just as I returned to 17 or 18 feet of water at the west end, my Rapala got eaten again, this time by a fat, 25-inch pike.  This offered a good end to a very good night.  


What do I have to say about this?

It was great to have good friend KS back in the boat.  This pleasant evening had really started a week prior; I had (stupidly) talked myself out of going fishing after work last Tuesday.  I had (erroneously) decided that I didn't have enough time available to make the effort worthwhile.  I immediately realized the error of my ways and decided that, if I had the chance to go without interfering with anything of concern; I would go!

And so I did.


A beautiful end to another nice evening on Reeds Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment