Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Early Season Bass and Pike Action

NumenOn the Water

Date:  March 19, 2017
Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target: Largemouth Bass
Time:  11:15 AM -4:45 PM
Conditions:  40-49 degrees F and generally calm and overcast; but clearing with a developing, mild SE wind.  Water temperatures were 38-39 degrees F, and the water was clearer (4-5 feet of visibility) with a greenish (rather than brownish) stain.

I started with the spin-bait/spy-bait near shallow weed edges.  I noted that this bait sank about 1 foot per "count" and so utilized a more rigorous count-down method to keep my bait near, but not in, the weeds.  I selected a known big bass area, where I knew they also spawned.  A few casts in, after a count of 5 in about 6.5 feet of water, my rod loaded with mush; and I wound tight into a very nice bass.  The 4-to-5 pounder flashed at my feet, but I totally blew the net job.  I was off to a good start, and so I was filled with hope; but this turned out to be it for bass action this day!

A bit later, I caught my first spy-bait pike; this fish hit with a definite "tick" and a push in very similar water.  Much later, searching deep water near these known shallow spots, I caught my first ever Heddon Sonar blade-bait fish, a wonderfully chunky 25-inch pike from 16 or 18 feet of water.  I spent a fair amount of time over the afternoon searching deep water for bass to no avail; but it will definitely be worth it when I find them!

I also tried various jerk-baits, rattle baits and a perfectly weighted Size 5 Shad Rap which suspends superbly; but these did not seem to touch a fish all afternoon.

What do I have to say about this?
It's always nice to have some success with new techniques.  It certainly was not a bad outing (landing that first bass would have made all the difference in my opinion of the day), but it wasn't great, either.  Regardless, it was a worthwhile grind while I searched for new fish to bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment