Thursday, March 30, 2017

Inconsistency

NumenOn the Water

Date:  March 28, 2017
Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  DC
Target:  CIR Largemouth Bass
Time: 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Conditions:  Water 42 - 43 degrees; skies cloudy but clearing dramatically by 6 PM.  Calm to mild easterly winds, air temps about 50 - 60 degrees.

I casually covered some water with an olive Shadow Rap jerk-bait until good friend DC arrived.  I thought I was saving some of the best water for his company as I worked 5 feet of water (+/-), mixing in shallow cranks and a spy-bait.  But the fishing was clearly NOT on fire.  My first strike came as a bit of a surprise; I thought I had swung and missed, but soon realized that the fish was racing towards and under the boat.  As my drag slipped heavily, I threw the rod tip into the water, but I was too late; my line was already wrapped in the propeller of my trolling motor, and I lost both the fish and a good bait when my line parted soon thereafter.  I'm sure it was a pike, but, once again, I'd have like to at least seen her.

I re-tied and gathered myself together.  I switched to a white and chartreuse Shadow Rap is the skies were starting to clear.  A few casts later, I was treated to a very cool visual strike, when a 15-inch bass inhaled my bait (at rest) about eight feet in front of me.  At least I was on the board, and I had something of a starting point for when DC came aboard a few minutes later.

I was lucky to make some quick work of a couple of smallish pike on this same bait in similar water.  As we approached the best water (eerily close to where I'd caught the previous day's big bass), I detected a subtle strike.  I set the hook, and my drag started racing, this time away from the boat.  With some confidence, I asked DC to get the net; but as he picked it up, my hooks pulled (again!)  Let's just say that I am preparing a slightly heavier rod for jerking for the rest of the spring; I have simply lost too many heavy fish on my current setup.

At about this point of the evening, a brief and weak wind from the east developed, and the skies cleared.  Amazingly, the fish activity dramatically declined, too, because we only got a couple more bites for the rest of the night.  Although I mixed in several other presentations over the evening, looking for something the fish liked, and DC was using a variety of baits from the back of the boat, only the Shadow Rap got bit.  Both fish were pike; the last was a very fat and healthy, approximate 28-incher that came from deeper water, off the weed edge.

What do I have to say about this?

While the fishing wasn't necessarily great (I started the evening with high expectations!), it was a beautiful evening.  There were more loons on the lake, and they were very vocal.  A noisy flight of high-flying tundra swans reminded me of the urgency of Spring.  And it was simply nice to be out with DC again; it's been five months or more since we'd fished together.

While I love my jerk-bait step (a high quality, but ancient 6.5-foot Shimano rod with medium light power and pretty slow action, paired with 6-pound Nanofil unifilament line and a 15-pound fluorocarbon leader) for bass, I'm clearly not sticking the hooks into all the fish I might have, otherwise.  Next time out, I'll be throwing at least some of my jerk-baits on a 7-foot medium, faster rod with 15-pound braid/leader.  This steelhead setup has worked well for me in the past, and should allow for more effective hooksets, and maybe a few more fish landed.

But the real lesson of the night is that fishing is fishing; and fish can be unpredictable.  As was just illustrated in the Bassmaster's Classic, it's super difficult to to be consistent on the water.  A primary goal of mine (on the water) is to reduce my inconsistency to the greatest extent possible.  Time and information are both limited; I need to make the best use of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment