Monday, April 3, 2017

First Limit of 2017

NumenOn the Water

Date:  April 2, 2017

Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  BL
Target: CIR Largemouth Bass
Time: 9 AM - 3:30 PM
Conditions:  From clear and 35 degrees to overcast and perhaps 60; calm to mild SE winds < 10 mph; water temperatures from 42 to almost 44 degrees F

Newish fishing friend, BL, was right on time and helped quite a bit at the ramp; things were off to a good start.  We've shared some good fishing together over the last couple of years, but I warned him of a probable slow, but quality bite as we slowly motored across the lake.  Given our time frame of about 2.5 hours together, I told him I'd be very happy with four bass, but they'd likely average at least three pounds.

We were first on the lake, and we went directly to my highest confidence area.  We both started with jerk baits; he would cover the shallower water (3-6 feet or so), and I would focus on the edge at 6-plus feet with a Deep Shadow Rap.  After 100 yards without a strike, I couldn't help but switch to a shallow version.   I soon instinctively swung on a fish, and I knew immediately that it was a heavy fish.  It peeled enough drag that I was quite certain that it must have been a pike, but my first glimpse confirmed that it was indeed, a bass, and a very nice one!  This was the largest bass we'd ever caught together, and a very promising start to the day.  I didn't measure it, but I'm willing to call it another 5-pounder; acknowledging that it might have actually weighed 4.8 pounds on the scale.  On the other hand, maybe last week's 5-pounder weighed 5.5 or more; this fish was not as large as that one.  She was, however, fat and beautifully conditioned, and she fought better than any other bass yet this season.


My first bass of April was a beauty!


I am not quite sure why their lips turn red at this time of year.

Beautiful conditions for photography

In quick succession, I missed a fish and caught a very solid three-pounder.  Again, the white/chartreuse Shadow Rap was calling them out of the weeds in about 5 feet of water.  The key seemed to be a prolonged pause or two during the retrieve.  I switched rods with BL in order to get the hot bait in his hands, and then got No. 3 immediately with a white and blue Shadow Rap.

The third of a quick threesome, and the smallest
I was well on my way to my best day of the season to date; the Shadow Rap had produced about 11 pounds, and there was plenty of time ahead of us.

We circled through this same water, again.  BL stuck with the Shadow Rap while I scouted with other lures, including spin baits, rattle baits and swim baits.  We caught nothing here, and so we re-located to some similar water; but we didn't have any further action while we shared the boat.

After dropping BL off at the ramp, I went directly to some new water and tried a new presentation.  An old Mark Davis Bomber Flat A Shad in white and green, thrown into about 6 or 8 feet of water from a position in 12 or 14 feet, produced a 2.5-pounder and a wonderfully rotund (although short) pike.  When that window had obviously closed (based on no bites and several relocations in the next 90 minutes), I resorted back to the jerk-baiting with a Berkley Cutter in an attempt to complete my limit.  It produced my fifth bass of the day (over 14 inches) at about 1:45 PM, and completed my first "virtual limit" of the season.  This bass was about 15 inches and probably weight a bit over 1.5 pounds.

For the last 90 minutes or so, I scouted deeper water, adjacent to areas where I've encountered the pre-spawn bass.  A KVD/Strike King crank produced a couple of smallish pike and a chance to cull my smallest bass with a slight upgrade from 8 to 11 feet of water, but I muffed this last bass next to the boat.

I also explored slightly deeper waters (about 13-20 feet) with Heddon Sonar and Sebile Vibrato blade baits, but decided to call it quits when my lure was cleanly snipped off by a pike on the single strike they produced.  These are proving fun to fish, though, and I think I will be able to work them into my cold-water regimen.
What do I have to say about this?

BL is proving to be a good, considerate and pleasant (if infrequent) partner, and his company improved my day!  What started as a dream day turned into a bit of a grind; but having matched my goal of catching a virtual limit of bass for the first time this season (with a solid total weight of 14 or 15 pounds for the five bass), combined with catching another pre-spawn lunker, provided lasting, dream-like qualities to the day.  A day of intense concentration for the task at hand was a further gift, as were the multiple sets of paired (and perhaps, actively mating) loons.

Multiple lures produced today, including the two Shadow Raps mentioned above, the Bomber Flat A Shad, the Berkley Cutter jerk bait, and the KVD Shad crank.  What didn't produce included the Deep Shadow Rap, rattle baits, spin baits and GT 360 swim baits.  I am sure they will each have their time to shine.

Reeds Lake is rarely easy, but she has been a good learning laboratory for me.  I've still got lots to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment