Saturday, July 18, 2015

East Bay II

Date:  7-18-15
Body of Water:  East Traverse Bay
Boat:  Numenon
With:  A and Ollie
Target: SMB
Time: 7 AM - 1:30 PM with a break for a mid-morning storm
Conditions:  Generally beautiful; warm and mild; but with a surprise storm that rolled through at about 9 AM.  Wind increased there-after as skies cleared; water was clear and about 68 F; SMB are suspected to be post-spawn

A actually woke up early, and we were packed and on the road by 4 AM. It was predicted to be the hottest day of the summer (so far), and I actually started to get concerned about fog over the coolish waters of the bay as we progressed north.  But we arrived with no concerns, and we were quickly set up on the break outside an area where I'd encountered spawning bass during my previous trip.


Another beautiful morning!


What better way to find smallies than with a jerk-bait and a topwater?  The Yozuri Prop bait drew the first hit after about 15 minutes of working the break.  Since my Shadow Rap had been ignored I threw a 3-inch Power Grub into the mix and immediately hooked up in 19 feet; I broke the ice with a small keeper bass.  That proved to be it here, so we moved north; again to target breaks outside known spawning areas.

The largest bass of the day showed itself from 20 or more feet of water as it attacked the Yozuri.  I waited for the weight...but it missed! I love throwing this bait, but it wasn't putting anything in the boat; so I was soon drop-shotting.  By this time, skies were clouding up and A was monitoring a line of thunderstorms approaching the area.  Just as I caught the largest bass of the day (Uncle Josh Pork Worm on the drop-shot in about 24 feet of water; but only about a 2-pounder), the clouds seemed to accelerate towards us.  


I am getting used to drop-shotting!



Moments later we were heading back to the ramp.  Ollie is seeking safety on my lap.


We packed up and raced to the ramp; we pulled the boat just in time for the rain and wind to hit.  We weathered the storm in comfort; we had food, drink, and a roof over our heads.  Ollie was doing great, and it looked to be a quick-moving storm, so we just waited it out.

Ninety minutes or so later we were back on the water.  At first we stayed close to the ramp.  By now we were both drop-shotting.  We had some bites, but not the bites we were looking for.  With the weather now clearly behind us, we went back across the bay to the eastern break.


We quickly caught a few fish from 24 to 37 feet deep.  But, I stubbornly worked areas from 20 to 30 feet deep that looked good on the graph; these didn't pay off.  With our time winding down, I finally returned to our "spot" and caught a couple more while expanding our range into deeper water.  The last bass was from 50 feet deep; new territory for me.


What do I have to say about this?

This was another long day, but all went well.  (Numenon did surprisingly sputter a bit at first, but worked fine once the fuel was really flowing.)  This was only my second time on this water, under very different conditions, and while the fishing wasn't fantastic, it was pretty satisfying.  The last few fish from 37 to 50 feet deep were the deepest smallies I've ever successfully targeted.  The trip has given me quite a bit more confidence in drop-shotting, as well as for tackling new, big water.  

As I review my logs, I realize that the water was only about a degree warmer than my previous trip.  I didn't even consider looking for spawning fish; the boat was never shallower than 10 feet or so (and then, only momentarily!)  I totally concentrated on the main break and beyond.   Perhaps the bass were still spawning; I may have missed out on an opportunity for A to have fished visually.  Oops

But A will love this even more under other conditions, and Ollie tolerated everything very well.  I love smallies and the setting.  We will all be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment