Sunday, July 19, 2015

Reciprocation



Date:  7-1-2015
Body of Water:  Narragansett Bay, Bristol RI
Boat:  None, shore
With:  Alone, but with non-fishing A as company
Target:  Striped Bass
Time:  10 AM to Noon
Conditions:  Pretty high tide but falling; full moon; tough to reach any deeper water


A and I had a day and a half or so of unscheduled time in New England between events for the kids, and we positioned ourselves near Westport, Massachusetts.  This is right on the Rhode Island/Massachusetts line, on the South Shore, but still west of Cape Cod.  Martha's Vineyard is visible on the horizon, and while this wasn't a fishing vacation, there was a possibility of some big stripers or blues being in the vicinity.

As I researched salt water licensing requirements, I learned that RI and MA have a reciprocation agreement; they honor each other's salt water licenses.  Rhode Island's was $5 less expensive, so I soon purchased my first RI alt water license; and I was good to go, just about anywhere we were likely to go.

I remembered fishing off-shore from Bristol's Colt State Park during my last Rhode Island fishing trip, and there were some reports of bunker and bass in Narragansett Bay, and so that was our first visit.  I thought I'd found a couple of likely spots (a salt pond was draining with the falling tide; I had current and bait on my side), but ultimately (I think) the water proved to be just too shallow for mid-day summer bassing.  I had fun casting great distances, though; 12-pound Suffix NanoBraid and a 2-ounce spoon or plug are a good combination for distance; I was often casting into my backing.  

I tried several location here and off the point behind the pier, but nothing happened.  I was simply practicing for some other location.


A salt pond drains into the bay at Colt State Park in Bristol, RI.
I thought this obvious seam would hold fish.  It held a lot of small rain bait, but I never saw a sign of any predatory fish.  The fishing pier in the background produced a couple of porgies and lots of crabs on bait for others, but there was no sign of any predators.

Date:  7-1-2015
Body of Water:  Atlantic Ocean Surf, Westport, Ma
Boat:  None, shore
With:  Alone, but with non-fishing A as company
Target:  Striped Bass
Time:  Evening, dusk into dark
Conditions:  Pretty high tide; full moon; windy but protected

The previous evening, A and I had discovered the beaches of Westport, including Gooseberry Island.  A short causeway at the end of State Rt. 88 leads to a parking lot on this island; and the beaches and headland provide access to some surfcasting.  Most of the folks I witnessed fishing were soaking bait on the bottom in a casual manner, but I thought the surf and rocks, as well as the prominence of this island to the south, into the open ocean, could provide some serious fishing opportunities.  On the way back to the hotel, we found Westport Bait And Tackle, and so I started my fishing this evening with a stop here.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't way out of order; that in fact, this was a viable fishing plan.  I also confirmed that a top-water plug would be a good option, and so I picked up a Gibb's Pencil Popper and an Atom Bottle Popper to supplement my various swim baits, spoons and jigs.  In the end, I threw nothing but these new baits, and I developed a serious preference for the Gibb's lure; it was easy to walk the dog, vary the cadence land amount of spit it threw; and it got crashed a few times, too.  The Atom lure just seemed a bit too aggressive for this water (which proved to be pretty shallow, even at this peak tide.

Within 20 minutes or so of casting, I thought I saw a feeding fish hit the surface; and soon thereafter a fish attacked, but missed the Pencil Popper.  A bit later a fish crashed on the Atom Popper but also missed the hooks.  As darkness approached, I saw a few more fish break the surface, too.  These events all maintained my confidence, but it was still something of a surprise when a fish casually slurped the Gibb's off the surface.  I swung and set the hook; my rod bowed heavily and the drag slipped as the fish ran.  After a couple of moments of dogged fighting, the fish suddenly came off.  I couldn't believe it!  I thought I'd missed my chance!  It was just about time to leave, but A let me cast my way back to the car, and I was fortunate to score a small striper on my last cast.

I've got to admit it; I've caught hundreds of stripers in the last 15 years or so, but this was my first from Massachusetts; my first from the surf; and my first on a top-water.  What this fish lacked in size, it made up for in symbolic importance and satisfaction.

Full moon, high tide, a decent surf, an occasional feeding fish sighted and a submerged rock field; I had some confidence.
Finally, a striper (albeit a small one) on a top-water plug!  Last cast of the evening!



Date:  7-2-2015
Body of Water:  Atlantic Ocean Surf, Westport, Ma
Boat:  Noneshore
With:  Alone
Target:  Striped Bass
Time:  Pre-dawn into early AM; (4:30 to 6:30 AM)

Conditions:  Pretty low tide; full moon

After such a pleasant trip, who wouldn't go back for more?  Somebody who knew the nature of this spot.  I was first in the parking lot the next morning, but I soon noticed that this beach was a different world at low tide.  As good as the previous evening was, this morning was frustrating and poor.  Mung and attached weeds in the ever-shallower water made working a lure virtually impossible, there were no signs of any fish, and for good measure I snapped off and lost my Gibb's lure.  I was back at the hotel in plenty of time to clean up for the day's scheduled events.


July 2 sunrise from Gooseberry Island.  Too bad it was low tide.


What do I have to say about this?

This area showed itself nicely and I am embarrassed to admit how truly local my upbringing was.  This wasn't because of closed-minded parents but rather because that's just the way things were at that time, at that place.  We had pretty much everything we needed within 10 miles or less; so why venture beyond?  I've been aware of this attitude through school and my professional/family life now in the Midwest; but apparently I am still ignorant as to the depths of the effects of my local youth.

I missed out on a lot!  I truly enjoyed the area and this time with A, and we look forward to poking around a bit in our future.  

There is so much that I didn't know, and never thought about asking about or looking for.  For instance, the Gibb's lure was produced on Hatch Street in my hometown of Cumberland, RI.  I went by the corner of Hatch and High Streets several times on any given normal day, but I never knew they were there.  Again, stripers were virtually absent from the bay during my youth, and totally absent from my life.  So why should I have known?  But I know I missed out.

So I'm glad to have moved to another region and to have experienced so much outside of New England.  I'm glad to have raised my family here in Michigan.  I'm glad we all will have the opportunities to research and choose our future options.  I'm glad to have time to reflect and make active choices with my life.


Keep at it; living and learning.  These couple of days provided a lot of opportunity for both endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment