Saturday, July 11, 2015

Tough Time

Date: 7-11-15
Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With: A (partial)
Target: LMB
Time: 5:30 AM - 11 AM
Conditions: Generally overcast and mild; mild southerly winds; water temps 75 - 76 F; murky

It was "Back to Reality" as I launched Numenon on Reeds Lake on my first trip, post-vacation.  Conditions started super-still and I appeared to be first out on the lake.  As I neared my first underwater hump, a lightless bass-boat scurried  to my spot.  I shared the water with them, and I even took a 15-inch bass on a slow-rolled spinnerbait along the hump's deep weed-edge on my first cast; but not much else, good, happened for the rest of the trip.

Nothing bad happened either; but the water seemed "off", I seemed "off" and out-of-practice; and I never really got it going.  I did catch a deep-water pike (smallish keeper) on a drop-shotted Uncle Josh Pork Worm; and I momentarily hooked an apparently large bass on a bulging spinnerbait over the weedy top of another hump; but a pattern never really developed.  As it got hotter, and more and more skiers came out, it was easy to pull the plug and head home.


What do I have to say about this?

I am ever-aware of Regression to the Mean; not all trips can be relatively great; in the end, all will average out.  Oh well.  Nothing bad happened, A brought me some iced coffee, and she seemed to enjoy jigging over the side of the boat and watching her grub swim.  There's nothing wrong with sharing time like that!  Finally, Reeds Lake is blessedly close!  I need an easy trip every so often.  All these factors help mitigate a trip where the fishing is less-than-average.

No comments:

Post a Comment