Friday, March 11, 2016

First Cast 2016

NumenOn the Water

Date:  3-11-16
Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:  None, Shore
With:  Alone
Target: LMB
Time:  1 PM - 2 PM
Conditions:  Sunny and 50 F; dead calm; super clear water; day after ice out

Reeds Lake gave up her ice on March10, 2016, and on Friday, March 11 I found myself at my work desk, but without a vehicle and looking for a ride home later that day.  I ended up with two choices; one a bit after my regular work time, and one at Noon.  My first inclination was to work all day and take the later ride, but it was, after all, Friday.  It was also so sunny and calm, and I haven't yet made a cast in 2016, and I'd tied all those hair jigs all winter, and a couple of rods were already rigged, and in the end, it was a foregone conclusion that I'd leave work early and at least make a few casts.

I fished from shore because the docks are not yet in and I had no partner help launch Numenon.  That was OK, though, because it forced me to fish slowly and carefully with hair jigs and jerk baits, perfect for the cold-water conditions.  I could only reach a certain amount of water, but my reach did include some weeds, edges, rocks and flats.  There was a chance for success, but I never had any indication of a fish.   That was OK, too, because it was a beautiful, generally carefree day and the catching will only get better as the season progresses.


First Cast 2016!  I selected a 1/16-ounce black bucktail jig to slither and scratch the bottom.


What do I have to say about this?

I am now willing to consider winter to be over.  We might have some more crappy weather before spring really settles in, but the ice is gone, I think I will have a chance to get the boat out soon,  I've made a few casts and my hair jigs look sweet!  I used both a 1/16-ounce black bucktail and an olive 1/8-ounce football-head silicone-and-rabbit craw, and they both exceeded my expectations with how awesome they looked in the water.  Of course, I lost both of them (one to a rock and one to a snagged line), and that hurt more than usual.  But I think these will be important lures for me in this and future seasons.  I have no doubt that they will produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment