Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Mardi Gras Beads

NumenOn the Water

Date:  3-20-16
Body of Water:  Big Whitefish Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  DC
Target:  Largemouth Bass
Time:  10 AM - 1:30 PM
Conditions:  Clear and bright; N/NW winds to 12 mph or so; water temps 38 to 42 F; air temps 28 to 42 F; about 8-10 feet of water clarity

This was another early-season bass expedition that was more about trying than about catching.  Once again, it was fit-to-schedule as opposed to optimized for results.  There was one other bass boat out there, despite the chilly start.

We worked mostly the weed edge with some forays into shallower water.  We didn't see a fish until after Noon (it was right on a sand/weed edge in about seven feet of water), and it was the last stop of the day (at last year's big bass spot) when DC got the only bite of the day; a beautiful, post-spawn pike of over 30 inches.  That fish ate a small KVD square-billed crawdad crank over dark bottom in about five feet of water.

I'd started the day recalling my Rhode Island days of early season bassing, when small cranks in shallow water ruled the day.  I should have taken my own advice, but I was seduced by the deep Shadow Rap jerk bait off the edge and hair jigs up shallow.

DC was good company and provided some good info on a day that I might have skunked if I were alone.  He's a good partner.


What do I have to say about this?

Once again, it was great to be out, there were no battery issues (so I guess it was the connection), and I had something happen that had never happened to me before.  I felt a slight "tick" on my DT3 crank and set the hook; and brought in about 20 inches of green Mardi Gras beads!





No comments:

Post a Comment