Sunday, March 20, 2016

Fishing with Kate

NumenOn the Water

Date:  3-18-16
Body of Water:  Reeds Lake
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Kate
Target:  Largemouth Bass
Time:  10 AM - 1:30 PM
Conditions:  Overcast but clearing; 36 to about 45 degrees F; NW winds < 15 mph; water was cloudy, high and 41-42 F

With Kate in the boat for the first time in quite a while, the goal for the day was to enjoy each other's company!  That goal was easily met, but of course I was doing my best to get her a fish (any fish) and to get myself the biggest bass possible.  I fell a little short on those, but they were distant secondary goals at best.

This is the first March with legalized bass fishing in Michigan, so other than my distant Rhode Island past, this was a New World to me.  With water temps in the low 40's, more wind than I'd like, reduced water visibility and no real chance for water temps to climb during the day, I reduced our arsenal to this: jerk baits, float and fly and shallow cranks for Kate; and hair jigs, jerks, cranks and rattle baits for me.  Hair jigs weren't used much because of the limited visibility, and I ended up throwing mostly jerk baits (shallower) and crank baits (deeper.)


I converted two hits into two pike, but never encountered a bass (to my knowledge.)  I know it could have happened, so that plus the enjoyable day were enough for me.  I also know that our timing was a little off (the weather was modestly ameliorating as we got off the lake), but we were home, clean and ready for a fun evening by the time the rest of the family arrived home.  We did things right!


First Casting Fish of 2016 was a small pike.


The Rapala Shadow Rap did its work.


A beautifully colored and fit pike
Pike No. 2 ate a Rapala No. 7 Tail Dancer.

Just off the spawn, this pike was skinny!


What do I have to say about this?

Other than not catching a 7-pound bass (or, indeed, any bass), it was a good day!  Kate enjoyed herself, she was warm and dry, and we relaxed together.  The only real issue of the day was a failed battery right at the ramp on our way home; and I'm pretty sure that was a loose connection as opposed to a function/reliability issue.  We'll find out next trip, but in the meantime I've got cables and an extra battery in Numenon, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment