Sunday, August 21, 2016

Full Moon of August

NumenOn the Water

Date: 8-18-16
Body of Water: Big Whitefish Lake
Boat: DC's Lund
With: DC
Target: Largemouth Bass
Time: 6:45 - 10 PM
Conditions: Full Moon; 80+ degrees F, clear, with generally southerly winds 5 - 8 mph; water was over 80 degrees F

DC and I met up at his home on Big Whitefish and spent a pleasant weekday evening chasing bass on the evening of the Full Moon. Before the boat was even positioned, I set the hooks of my slow-rolled chatter-bait into a nice, 30-inch-class, deepwater pike.  Nice start!

DC stuck to a drop-shot rig (with a long, 3-foot leader) while I threw a variety of horizontal baits along weed edges.  For the first hour or more, it was a slow grind, and he accumulated a virtual limit of small keeper-sized bass.  As sunset approached, we relocated to the prominent sunken island, and DC enjoyed a decent bite on the DT14.  I popped a couple of bass on the slow-rolled chatter-bait (always in contact with weeds.)

The fishing really picked up in the half hour between sunset and full dark; and now it was my turn to catch.  The Whopper Plopper top-water produced a steady stream of bass to 16 inches or so; they showed a definite preference for the bait on significant pauses.

We both finished the evening in the dark throwing black spinnerbaits.  This bite proved surprisingly slow.  With work the next morning looming over us, we ended the session in the full dark with a nice, fat 16-incher that ate my bait right next to the boat.  

We ended with perhaps 20 bass and the bonus pike.  Nothing too large showed itself, but that was okay for a bonus, weekday session.


What do I have to say about this?

I've not really made the most of my summer (at least the weekdays), but this effort, tacked on to the end of a very full work day, was a bit of timely tonic.  While the fishing wasn't great, it was pretty consistent, and probably represented the best fishing I've experienced in a month.  The lake was quiet, the companionship solid.   Once again, Thanks, DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment