Monday, August 8, 2016

Redirected to Clear Lake

NumenOn the Water

Date:  8-6-16
Body of Water:  Clear Lake, Mecosta County
Boat:  Numenon
With:  Alone
Target:  Largemouth Bass
Time: 1 - 3 PM
Conditions:  Clear and bright; a bit of wind, 85 degrees F and 84 degree water

I was hoping to find some quiet new water, preferably with smallmouth bass, and I thought Rogers Pond on the Muskegon River might fill that ticket.  With Croton and Hardy Ponds further downstream attracting all the attention, I thought this sleepy little reservoir might provide a chance at some brown bass while also offering a respite from the relentless development and boating activity of West Michigan's small, public waters.  

Arriving at the ramp at the Crack of Noon, I was greeted by a fiasco.  I didn't stick around to find out what was going on, but the Sheriff and an ambulance were busy, and the ramp was otherwise clogged.  I quickly changed gears and headed towards Clear Lake, perhaps 15 miles to the east.  I'd never been there, and I doubted it had smallmouths; but I suspected it would be quiet and offer a new challenge.


The Sheriff, an ambulance, and a full parking lot... not what I was looking for when I sought new, quiet waters.


Clear Lake, Mecosta County

As I motored out, I was pleased to see that this Clear Lake was appropriately named.  I was surprised to find that my Humminbird GPS mapping system provided a fairly detailed map; I motored over to a subtle point that dropped off into some of the lake's deepest water.

My second flip with a drop-shot got intercepted by a small keeper bass in about 14 feet of water.  That was just good luck, though, because I could only muster one additional bite from a similar-sized largemouth in the next couple of hours.  One boat was doing well on numbers of panfish in over 20 feet of water, and another fishing boat reported a slow bite "since they'd sprayed the weeds."  

What do I have to say about this?
Oh well, it was pleasant enough.  The lake might have some potential under different conditions; this was a tough test!  And I heard some chatter about crappies and pike, too, so I might have to revisit this lake again, some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment