Friday, August 5, 2016

Whitefish Dinner

NumenOn the Water

Date:  7-30-16
Body of Water:  Whitefish Lake
Boat:  DC's Lund
With:  DC
Target:  Largemouth Bass
Time: 4 - 5:30 PM and 9 - 10:30 PM
Conditions:  Post rain, mild NE winds, overcast and 78 degree F water

The lake was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday afternoon, but that quickly changed as folks realized the rain and gloom were over.  Our first few casts were into our own private lake, but that didn't last for long.

When I am fishing out of the back of the boat, I typically defer to the methods of choice for my partner; and then do something different from the stern.  D started with a green tube, so I went for a big bite with a slow-rolled swim bait.  After several casts that just didn't feel right to me, I switched to cranking the weed edge with a bluegill-colored DT10, and my first cast was greeted by a decent pike.  When a small keeper-sized bass followed  just a couple of casts later, it was difficult for me to put this rig down.  At this point we were killing time and just catching up on each other's summers.  A steady parade of small bass came aboard until it was time to go in for dinner.

We turned left from the dock after dinner and covered some new water.  D stuck mostly with the tube while I chose to throw my Whopper Plopper, which is becoming a summertime favorite.  I caught a virtual limit of small bass and missed a few others (I was retrieving the bait about as slowly as I could while still seeing or hearing the bait), and D got a couple on spinnerbaits.  This included the biggest of the night (maybe 2.5 pounds), and he lost a much bigger bass at the boat's side in the dark.

The offshore hump spinnerbait bite never materialized.  It could have been the northeast wind, all the chopped weed, or simply another mystery of fishing.  Maybe next time!



What do I have to say about this?

Thank you, D and J, for the spontaneous invitation, pleasant evening, pontoon ride, good food and easy access to a better-than-decent fishery!  I might not have made it out to the water all weekend except for this opportunity, and D and I are so compatible in the boat that things always work out well.  You are our longest-tenured friends here in Michigan, and I am pleased to have standing offers for reciprocation.  Looking forward to more of the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment